Table of contents
What is paternity testing?
A paternity test is a type of DNA test that is used to verify the biological relationship of a child to their father.
The test is performed by using cheek (buccal) swabs to collect cheek cell DNA for testing.
This totally painless and extremely simple method of sample collection means that the test can be performed on anyone of any age, from new-born babies to grown-up children/adults.
From just $129, an AlphaBiolabs paternity test examines up to 42 DNA markers to determine which half of the child’s DNA is inherited from the potential father.
When testing the biological father of the child, both will share enough matching DNA markers to verify a biological relationship. If the man is not the biological father of the child, this will not be the case.
Why do people need paternity testing?
Because fathers usually play an important role in their child’s wellbeing and development, establishing a father-child bond early on has many benefits.
In situations where a man is uncertain whether he is the biological father of a child, he may be reluctant to spend time with them or contribute to their upbringing.
This can damage the chances of a positive parent-child relationship and cause emotional distress both to the potential father and to the child.
This is where paternity testing is useful, helping to ensure that the relationship between father and child gets off to the best possible start where the man is confirmed as the biological father.
There are many other good reasons why a person might want to find out who their biological father is, that have nothing to do with building a relationship between father and child.
- Where it is important for a person to know their full medical history – including their family history of certain diseases or health problems. This can be useful for couples/individuals trying to conceive, or for people who are simply curious about their health, and want to ensure any hereditary illnesses are diagnosed and treated as early as possible
- Developing a sense of identity – some psychologists believe that knowing your biological background is important in helping to establish a sense of identity
Who might need a paternity test?
There are many circumstances in which a paternity test might be needed and, thanks to laboratories like AlphaBiolabs, it is now easier than ever to order a paternity test online and get the answers you need.
Examples of who might need a paternity test include:
- Mothers who are unsure as to who their child’s biological father is after the baby has been born
- Men who have doubts about whether they are the biological father of a child
- Expectant parents who want to verify paternity before the baby is born – this can be done through a completely safe and risk-free non-invasive prenatal paternity test while the mother is still pregnant
- Grown-up children who have questions about their parentage, and want a paternity test to confirm that the man they believe to be their father is actually their biological father
- Men who are being asked to provide child support for a child they did not previously know existed, where there is doubt about paternity
- Siblings who want to know whether they share the same biological father
- Children who have been adopted or conceived via a sperm donor, who want to find out who their biological father is
- Individuals who wish to make a claim to their father’s estate after they have passed away, where paternity is in dispute
Please note, AlphaBiolabs’ DNA testing is for peace of mind only. This means that the test results can be used to answer any questions you might have, but the results cannot be used in court.
How can I buy a paternity test?
You can order an AlphaBiolabs Paternity Test online now from just $129, for results in 3 business days*.
If you have questions about the test or require further assistance, email our friendly, knowledgeable Customer Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*From receipt of your samples at our laboratory.
Order your Paternity DNA test
Buy an AlphaBiolabs home DNA Paternity Test now from just $129.