Alcohol poisoning, also known as an alcohol overdose, is a serious condition that causes dangerous symptoms and can stop your body from working properly.
Everyone’s body has a different tolerance level, so what causes alcohol poisoning in one person may have a lesser effect on another.
In this article, we look at the signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning, how long it takes to recover from alcohol poisoning, and the complications of alcohol poisoning.
Table of contents
- What is alcohol poisoning?
- How do I know if I have alcohol poisoning?
- What are the symptoms of alcohol overdose?
- What are the complications of alcohol poisoning?
- What can be done to stop alcohol overdose?
- How long does alcohol poisoning last?
- How soon can you drink after having alcohol poisoning?
- Can drinking water flush out alcohol?
- Where can I get an alcohol test?
What is alcohol poisoning?
Alcohol poisoning or alcohol overdose occurs when a person drinks a large volume of alcohol, and their body cannot cope with its effects.
It usually happens when someone consumes a lot of alcohol in a short space of time, also known as binge drinking. Alcohol poisoning caused by long-term binge drinking can lead to very serious health problems and even death.
Alcohol is essentially a toxin. When a person drinks alcohol, it passes into their bloodstream and to their brain, kidneys, lungs, and liver. The liver does the job of filtering out the alcohol into the bloodstream to keep the body working properly.
It takes the average person about an hour to process each unit of alcohol they drink. If someone drinks a lot of alcohol very quickly, their body may struggle to process it and begin to show signs of alcohol poisoning.Order a Nail Drug & Alcohol Test
How do I know if I have alcohol poisoning?
There are several signs of alcohol poisoning or overdose that you can look out for: experiencing these usually means you have drunk more alcohol than your body can handle.
If you are experiencing alcohol poisoning you might feel dizzy, confused, and disoriented, and/or be unable to speak without slurring your words. You might also feel very cold because alcohol reduces body temperature.
Other signs of alcohol poisoning include vomiting, erratic breathing and an irregular heart rate. Extreme symptoms include loss of bladder or bowel control, passing out, and having a fit or seizure.
Some of these symptoms including fits and seizures can be extremely serious or even life-threatening. If you or someone you know experiences any of these symptoms, you should seek urgent medical care immediately.
What are the symptoms of alcohol overdose?
The symptoms of alcohol poisoning or overdose can include:
- Dizziness and loss of balance and coordination
- Slurring words
- Feeling very cold
- Increased heart rate
- Erratic breathing
- Loss of bladder or bowel control
- Loss of consciousness
- Fitting and seizures
Some of these symptoms including seizures and fits are extremely serious and could be life-threatening.If someone you know experiences these symptoms, you should seek urgent medical care.
What are the complications of alcohol poisoning?
Alcohol poisoning or overdose can occur when you drink a large quantity of alcohol in a short space of time, and your body cannot cope with its effects.
This stops the body from functioning in a normal way, which can cause serious short and long-term health complications.
Possible complications of alcohol poisoning/overdose include:
- Inability to think straight leading to poor decision-making and increased risk-taking
- Choking on your own vomit
- Loss of consciousness
- Risk of injury from loss of consciousness
- Slow or irregular breathing
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Fits and seizures
- Liver and heart failure
People who binge drink and suffer alcohol poisoning on a regular basis may also experience memory loss, anxiety, brain damage caused by dehydration, fits and seizures, and/or an irregular heartbeat.
Alcohol is also cited as a contributing factor in many health conditions including mouth, throat, stomach, liver and breast cancers, high blood pressure, liver cirrhosis, and depression.
What can be done to stop alcohol overdose?
The only way to prevent alcohol poisoning and the long-term effects is to avoid drinking alcohol in large quantities, particularly on a regular basis.
According to Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2020-2025, published by the US Department of Agriculture and US Department of Health and Human Services, adults of legal drinking age who choose to drink alcohol should drink in moderation.
Drinking in moderation can minimize the risk to your health and reduce the likelihood of short and long-term complications.
Avoiding binge drinking (consuming a lot of alcohol in a short space of time) and drinking slowly also gives the body time to process any alcohol being consumed.
Bear in mind however, that there is no minimum volume of alcohol that can cause alcohol poisoning. The effects of alcohol on the body can vary depending on a person’s age, gender, weight, whether they have used illegal drugs or prescription medications, what and how much they have drunk, and if they have eaten food.
Drinking on an empty stomach is dangerous and intensifies the effects of alcohol. Eating food before moderate drinking can help the body absorb alcohol, as food in the stomach slows down the rate at which the body absorbs alcohol, giving the liver more time to process it, and reducing the likelihood of adverse effects.
How long does alcohol poisoning last?
How long alcohol poisoning/alcohol overdose lasts depends on several factors, including:
- The strength and amount of alcohol a person has had to drink
- If they have taken any prescription medications or illegal drugs
- Whether or not they have eaten
These factors influence how quickly a person’s body can clear the alcohol from their system.
In very serious cases, alcohol poisoning can be life-threatening and/or lead to a stay in hospital for treatment.
How soon can you drink after having alcohol poisoning?
Drinking too soon after alcohol poisoning could slow down the recovery process.
If a person has suffered alcohol poisoning, it is sensible for them to avoid drinking alcohol completely to allow their body time to recover from its effects.
How long it takes a person’s body to recover depends on several factors including their age, weight, gender, and if they have any underlying health conditions.
Can drinking water flush out alcohol?
While drinking water hydrates and helps the body to detox, it won’t flush alcohol out of the body completely.
Once alcohol is in a person’s bloodstream, it takes time for the liver to process it. Even if someone stopped drinking an hour ago, their liver will still be processing what they have already drunk. On average, it takes the body one hour to process one unit of alcohol.
When drinking alcohol, a good rule to follow is to drink one glass of water after every one or two alcoholic drinks. This helps keep the body hydrated and can lessen the effects of any alcohol consumed.
Giving water to someone who has alcohol poisoning can help counter dehydration, but they should drink it slowly to avoid vomiting. Further guidance on alcohol poisoning/overdose can be found here.
Where can I get an alcohol test?
Whether you have concerns about a loved one misusing alcohol, or simply want a test for other personal reasons, our peace of mind home Drug & Alcohol Nail Test could be the right test for you.
Available from just $99, this easy-to-use kit allows you to test for drug and/or alcohol use, with only fingernail clipping or toenail clipping samples required.
Simply collect your samples and return them to our accredited testing laboratory for 100% accurate results in 7-10 days.
Please be aware that our Drug & Alcohol Nail Test is for peace of mind only. You can use this test to get the answers you need, but the results cannot be used in legal proceedings or in court.
For more information, email our friendly and discreet Customer Services team at firstname.lastname@example.org.